National Weather Service warns of increasing fire danger

Published 9:30 am Wednesday, February 28, 2024

BROOKHAVEN — Dry fuel, low humidity and breezy winds have increased the risk of fires getting out of control, the National Weather Service in Jackson warns. This threat is from now through Thursday until Friday when more rain is expected to come.

Volunteer firefighters with Hog Chain, Heucks Retreat and East Lincoln worked to contain a grass fire in southeast Lincoln County Tuesday. It was contained to two acres but could have spread quickly with gusty winds.

NWS Jackson warns residents in Lincoln County that fires can quickly get out of control and open burning is discouraged at this time. Mississippi Forestry Commission fought nearly 300 wildfires last week alone. One of the fires Mississippi Forestry Commission worked was a 1,500 acre wildfire in Jefferson Davis County.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

There is continued risk of gusty winds and sustained winds between 20 to 25 mph. Gusts could reach 30 to 40 mph at times. Be careful if you are out in the woods as weakened trees killed by beetles and the drought could fall and limbs could break off.

NWS Jackson forecasts a 60 percent chance of rain today. Temperatures will drop to 55 by 5 p.m. Lincoln County has a 50 percent chance of rain Thursday night and then an 80 percent chance of rain Friday. Saturday and Sunday has a 20 percent chance of rain while Monday and Tuesday have 50 and 60 percent chances of rain.

We will provide more updates on the weather as we get closer to the weekend.