Severe weather might move in after lunchtime

Published 12:32 pm Tuesday, April 2, 2024

BROOKHAVEN — Rain chances will increase this afternoon with a 40 percent chance of rain after 1 p.m. and a 60 percent chance of rain this evening. The National Weather Service office in Jackson warns the weather could get bad following lunchtime.

Lincoln County is at a marginal risk of severe storms this afternoon. Wind gusts could reach as high as 25 mph this afternoon and into the night. Isolated severe storms are possible with the weather threat.

NWS Jackson warns if storms do come they could bring damaging wind gusts and hail up to a quarter in size. The timing of storms is from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. Once the storms pass there will be sunshine and cooler high temperatures for a few days.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

At this time, there are no warnings or watches issued for Lincoln County or the surrounding counties in Southwest Mississippi. We will provide updates on any potential storm damage and power outages if the storms do pass through the area.

One threat residents should keep in mind are the standing dead pine trees lost due to the drought and pine beetle outbreak. Mississippi Forestry Commission estimates 12.5 million pine trees died across the state. A few downed trees hit power lines and sparked grass fires during last week’s severe weather. Use caution if you are out in the woods and keep an eye out for potential deadfall.