Watch: Severe weather update from Brookhaven

Published 2:58 pm Friday, May 31, 2024

National Weather Service in Jackson warns severe storms are possible later this afternoon with heavy rainfall expected. Lincoln County is at a marginal severe weather risk with isolated severe storms, damaging wind gusts, hail up to a quarter in size and tornadoes can not be ruled out. Counties along the Mississippi River such as Adams, Jefferson and Claiborne County could see a slight severe weather risk.

Lincoln County has an 60 percent chance of rain today with thunderstorms likely mainly after 4 p.m. Heavy rain could come tonight with a 40 percent chance.

Saturday has a greater chance for showers and thunderstorms. NWS Jackson forecasts the chance of precipitation as 90 with rainfall totaling a half inch to three quarters of an inch. Severe storms are possible. Lincoln County is under a marginal risk Saturday with isolated severe storms, damaging wind gusts and hail up to a quarter in size. Tornadoes can not be ruled out.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Sunday has a 70 percent chance of rain according to the forecast.

With all of the rain in the forecast, NWS Jackson warns of possible flash flooding. There is a limited threat of flooding with two to four inches of localized rainfall possible in a short amount of time. Flash flooding is possible in low lying and urban areas. Several rounds of heavy rain is possible through Sunday morning, NWS warns. Drivers should remember to turn around and don’t drown when encountering flooded roadways.