Temperatures to warm up this weekend

Published 2:00 pm Wednesday, June 12, 2024

BROOKHAVEN — The National Weather Service in Jackson forecasts temperatures in Brookhaven to increase going into the weekend. Wednesday’s high of 88 is already 1 degree warmer than the average of 87 but well below the record high for June 12.

According to the NWS, the warmest high temperature recorded on June 12 in Brookhaven was in 1917 with a high of 102 degrees. The lowest temperature recorded on June 12 in Brookhaven was 46 degrees set in 1986.

Thursday’s high is forecast to jump to 91 degrees before Friday’s high of 96. The heat could always be worse as shown by the record high of 102 degrees set on June 13 in 1924, Thursday’s high will be 11 degrees cooler. Friday’s forecasted high will be five degrees lower than the record high set on June 14, 1963 at 101 degrees.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Saturday will get close to triple digits but fall just short with a forecasted high of 98 degrees. The record high set for Brookhaven on June 15 was 103 degrees set in 1911.

A solid chance of rain could cool things off Sunday through Tuesday. There is a 40 percent chance of showers Sunday, 60 percent chance of rain Monday and a 50 percent chance of rain Tuesday.

If you are looking for a way to cool off Brookhaven Parks and Recreation offers three splash pads for the public to cool off and for children to have some fun.

One splash pad is found at the City Park located on 365 Hartman Street. Bi-Centennial Park offers a splash pad at 202 Main Street and Bethel Park on Fulton Street has a splash pad.

Splash Pads are open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. everyday including the weekends until September 30.