Top 25 property taxpayers reported
Published 11:00 am Saturday, January 8, 2022
Property taxes in Lincoln County for 2021 totaled $19,534,842.97, up $653,295.83 — a 3.3 percent from the previous year.
Lincoln County Tax Assessor/Collector Blake Pickering said the total bill for 2021 was $18,935,812.40 with Homestead Exemption totaling $599,030.57, reducing the overall amount to $19.5 million.
Pickering said the slight increase in property taxes from 2021 was due to reappraisal of property values.
“Every four years is a reappraisal year,” Pickering said. “The State gives us the index they feel is appropriate to balance our properties with the rest of the state. This was our reappraisal year.”
Appraisal rates increased from 1.03 percent to 1.13 percent. Anyone with an over-65 homestead exemption would not be affected, however. Assessments on over-65 homesteaded properties cannot be increased if there are no changes to the property, Pickering said.
“Assessed property values increased slightly, not significantly because the state-mandated index went up, meaning all property values increased by 10 percent, although most taxing agencies lowered their millage rates to compensate for that so property owners would not see a big jump in taxes,” he said.
Property taxes were due by the last Monday in September, though the land sale was postponed due to inclement weather. Anyone who failed to pay their property taxes must redeem the property in the office of Chancery Clerk Alisha McGehee.
The county’s top 25 taxpayers are as follows:
1. Wal-Mart Stores East LP, $428,449.11 tax amount, $2,839,668 assessed value.
2. Wal-Mart Properties Inc., $388,446,44 tax amount, $2,574,539 assessed value.
3. McLane Southern Inc., $363,594.79 tax amount, $2,409,812 assessed value.
4. Delphi Properties Management, $128,674.99 tax amount, $852,830 assessed value.
5. Home Depot USA Inc., $109,100.54 tax amount, $723,094 assessed value.
6. Bellamare Development LLC, $90,612.64 tax amount, $600,561 assessed value.
7. Thompson Holding Inc., $87,313.80 tax amount, $578,697 assessed value.
8. King’s Daughters Medical Center, $79,284.70 tax amount, $525,482 assessed value.
9. Bucket Property Management LLC, $76,407.90 tax amount, $506,415 assessed value.
10. Ko-Am LLC, $74,863.34 tax amount, $496,178 assessed value.
11. Brookway View LLC, $74,754.25 tax amount, $495,455 assessed value.
12. Posey Kenneth D. Jr. Trustee, $71,715.23 tax amount, $475,313 assessed value.
13. SMV Brookhaven LLC, $68,907.05 tax amount, $456,701 assessed value.
14. Whitworth ALF LLC, $65,499.57 tax amount, $434,117 assessed value.
15. Brookway Village LLC, $63,158.67 tax amount, $418,602 assessed value.
16. Trustmark National Bank Brookhaven, $63,056.06 tax amount, $417,922 assessed value.
17. Lakeview Arms MS LLC, $58,916.52 tax amount, $390,486 assessed value.
18. Pike National Bank, $55,579.67 tax amount, $368,370 assessed value.
19. Brookway Properties LLC, $54,634.27 tax amount, $362,104 assessed value.
20. Bank of Brookhaven, $53,983.50 tax amount, $357,791 assessed value.
21. Brookhaven I LLC & II LLC, $53,447.73 tax amount, $354,240 assessed value.
22. 890 Brookway LLC, $50,857.28 tax amount, $337,071 assessed value.
23. Kirk Brookhaven LLC, $49,650.84 tax amount, $329,075 assessed value.
24. Empire Trucks of Brookhaven Inc., $47,816.74 tax amount, $316,919 assessed value.
25. Magnolia Healthcare Inc., $47,276.44 tax amount, $313,338 assessed value.