MDOT suspends work, offers travel tips
Published 12:00 pm Wednesday, December 21, 2022
With more vehicles on the roadways for holiday travel, the Mississippi Department of Transportation wants to help keep the holidays merry and bright. MDOT plans to do this by limiting travel delays caused by construction, and by offering a few holiday travel tips.
All interstate and four-lane highway construction will be suspended during peak Christmas and New Year’s travel times. All road construction requiring lane closures will stop Dec. 24 and resume Jan. 2. The closures will provide maximum travel capacity and minimal construction delays for holiday travelers.
“Although no highway construction work will occur across the state, motorists should be aware that some lane closures will remain in place,” MDOT Executive Director Brad White said. “These lane closures are there to protect motorists, and MDOT urges drivers to always treat these areas as active work zones, even though workers may not be present.”
No matter the destination, safety should be motorists’ top priority. MDOT offers the following safe-driving tips:
- Plan ahead. The MDOT Traffic mobile app shows real-time road conditions along your travel route.
- Get plenty of rest before driving. Remember to plan frequent stops if traveling long distances.
- Buckle up. Seat belt use is one of the easiest and most effective ways to save lives and reduce injuries from a possible crash.
- Always use caution in work zones. Maintenance workers also want to make it home safely to their families for the holidays.
- Watch out for wildlife. Cooler temperatures mean deer and other wildlife are more active near highways. Use extra caution if traveling during dusk and dawn.
- Do not drive impaired. If you do plan to drink, make sure you have a designated driver.
For the most current travel and traffic information, visit MDOTTraffic.com, and download the free MDOT Traffic app.