2023 state, local election qualifying begins Jan. 3
Published 3:58 pm Friday, December 30, 2022
It’s another election year for multiple offices in the county and state.
The new year will bring several political announcements and usher in months of campaigning for anyone who wishes to remain in office or step into office for one of 17 county slots or more than a dozen state spots.
A one-month qualifying period for 2023 elections begins Jan. 3 and concludes Feb. 1.
Primary Election is Tuesday, Aug. 8, 2023. If needed, a run-off will be three weeks later, on Aug. 29.
The General Election will take place Tuesday, Nov. 7. A run-off, if needed, will be three weeks later, on Nov. 28.
County offices on the ballot are: sheriff; chancery clerk; circuit clerk; tax assessor/collector; coroner; surveyor; supervisors for all five districts; Justice Court judges, posts 1 and 2; constables, posts 1 and 2; and election commissioners for Districts 2 and 4.
State offices on the ballot are: governor, lieutenant governor, secretary of state, attorney general, state auditor, treasurer, commissioner of insurance, commissioner of agriculture and commerce, transportation district commissioners, public service district commissioners, state representatives for Districts 53 and 92, state senator for District 39; and District Attorney District 14.
Each candidate must be a resident of the county and district for which they are running for at least two years by Nov. 6, 2023. All county offices or county district offices have a fee of $100 per party or independent, and must include signatures from 50 active voters in that district. Election commissioners have no fee, but must provide the 50 active voter signatures.
The following are the individuals currently serving in the positions up for election in the coming year:
• Sheriff Steve Rushing
• Chancery Clerk Alisha McGehee
• Circuit Clerk Dustin Bairfield
• Tax Assessor/Collector Blake Pickering
• Coroner Clay McMorris
• Surveyor Joe W. Byrd
• Supervisor District 1 Jerry Wilson
• Supervisor District 2 Jerry McGehee
• Supervisor District 3 Nolan E. Williamson
• Supervisor District 4 C.E. “Eddie” Brown
• Supervisor District 5 Doug Falvey
• Justice Court Judge Post 1 Ian Smith
• Justice Court Judge Post 2 Roger Martin
• Constable Post 1 Kelly Porter
• Constable Post 2 W. Lavon Boyd
• Election Commissioner District 2
• Election Commissioner District 4
• State Senator District 39 Jason Barrett
• State Representative District 53 Vince Mangold
• State Representative District 92 Becky Currie
• District Attorney District 14 Dewitt “Dee” Bates Jr.
• Public Service Commissioner Southern District Dane Maxwell
• Transportation Commissioner Southern District Tom King
• Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce Andy Gipson
• Commissioner of Insurance Mike Chaney
• State Treasurer David McRae
• State Auditor Shad White
• Attorney General Lynn Fitch
• Secretary of State Michael Watson
• Lieutenant Governor Delbert Hosemann
• Governor Tate Reeves