Firefighters rescue worker stranded above First Baptist roof

Published 4:40 pm Tuesday, March 14, 2023

An equipment malfunction caused a worker to be temporarily stranded above the roof of First Baptist Church Brookhaven Tuesday afternoon.

While using a platform lift to accomplish maintenance work on the church’s steeple, the machine malfunctioned and shut off. The workers were unable to get it to respond and called for help.

Firefighters from Brookhaven Fire Station 2 responded and were able to safely rescue the stranded man.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“We extended our ladder to 74 feet, and the max it will go is 75 feet,” Fure Chief Jeff Ainsworth said.

A representative from the lift rental company was called to address the mechanical problem.