Brookhaven man loses home, possessions in Labor Day fire
Published 9:38 am Tuesday, September 5, 2023
For decades, Calvin Craig has lived at 110 South Martin Luther King Jr. Drive in Brookhaven. Now he has nowhere to go.
At approximately 4:50 p.m. Monday, Sept. 4, Craig’s house caught fire. A friend named Randy had been visiting with Craig in the home just before, and had left to get something from his house. As he returned a few minutes later, he saw the smoke and the fire trucks.
Randy shook his head as he looked at what remained of the wooden structure Tuesday.
Fire Chief Jeff Ainsworth said firefighters worked to extinguish the fire and all hot spots until 8:05 p.m.
Craig sat in a chair near his driveway Tuesday, dressed in what he was wearing when the blaze broke out — the only clothes he owns now.
“I got nowhere to go right now, but I’ll figure something out,” he said.
No one was injured as a result of the fire, but Craig — who has no phone — needs assistance. He said he is a member of Macedonia M.B. Church on Nola Road, and that a couple of people in the area had stopped by to check on him Tuesday morning. Randy said he was going to reach out to a nearby pastor to see what could be done to help his friend.
Even with the loss of nearly all he owned, Craig’s spirit is not defeated.
“I’m going to make it,” he said.