Departments fighting grass fire on I-55

Published 12:15 pm Thursday, September 21, 2023

BROOKHAVEN— Firefighters are on the scene of a grass fire along I-55 on both sides of the interstate. First responders can not catch a break this week.

Brookhaven-Lincoln County EMA Director Chris Reid said the fire is at mile marker 36 south of US84. 

A call for a grass fire in Bogue Chitto came over the radio while crews were working a house fire on Macedonia Road Wednesday. 

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

The grass fire on Calvary Road was not caused by human error this time. Reid said it is believed a squirrel chewed on a transformer sparking the fire. 

Brookhaven-Lincoln County EMA urged residents to heed the burn ban in a Facebook post Thursday morning. The National Weather Service in Jackson forecasts the fire danger will increase through this week due to low humidity, dry conditions and gusty winds. 

Open burning is discouraged, cigarette butts should be disposed of properly and trailer chains should be put up where they do not drag on the road ways. All it takes is one spark for a fire to start. One fire in Loyd Star started due to a person burning trash. Citations will be issued for any violations of the burn ban and you are responsible for any damage you cause.