Assisted living patients get smoky start to midweek

Published 10:23 am Wednesday, May 8, 2024

A smoking door led to the temporary evacuation of patients at a Brookhaven senior living facility Wednesday morning.

Emergency personnel responded to Trend Health and Rehab on Brookman Drive around 9:30 a.m. after an electric door apparently sparked and began smoking.

Trend employees quickly moved patients to safety in the facility’s courtyard, as firefighters assessed the situation and cleared the smoke.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

By 9:55 a.m., only the Fire Department inspector remained on the scene as patients were prepped to be returned to their rooms.

No one was injured.