‘Boo’ Fauver on road to recovery from burns

Published 5:00 am Friday, August 9, 2002

Who’s ready for some football? Robbie “Boo” Fauver Jr. of WestLincoln that’s who.

After a life-threatening accident this summer, Boo’s ready toget back to enjoying his favorite activities, with football at thetop of the list.

Playing the sport won’t be an easy task for the 17-year-old.He’s still recovering from an accident that left him with seconddegree burns to 45 percent of his body.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“It’s healed, but it’s not tough yet,” he said. “I’m still goingto try to play, and we’ll just have to see how it goes.”

Boo, the son of Robbie and Belinda Fauver, will have to wrap hislower legs and arms with gauze material to give him extra paddingon the field, but he sees that as only a small inconvenience.

“I’m just glad I’m getting to play football. I was reallyworried about that because I just love football,” said Boo, whoplays right tackle on offense and nose guard or left tackle ondefense for the West Lincoln Bears.

On the night of June 18, Boo never thought he would heal enoughto get back on the gridiron.

Earlier that day, he was cleaning up the yard at the home of hisaunt, Joy Boudreaux, and his grandmother, Evelyn Callender, whentragedy struck.

“I was burning a brush pile. I had poured gas on it, and when Icame back to light it, it blew up and knocked me backwards,” hesaid.

As soon as Boo realized what happened, his first instinct was tobegin rolling on the ground to put the fire out, but there was nofire. His face, arms and legs were burned, yet his clothing did notappear to be charred. He later found out that was because theexplosion was from combustion of the fumes.

A few minutes after the explosion, Boo made his way to his houseabout 75 yards away, where his dad had just sat down at the kitchentable after getting off work.

Fauver said he looked up when he heard his son call from thefront door saying he probably needed to go to the hospital.

“At first I thought maybe he had cut himself with a knife, butthen I saw him, and you could just smell the burned flesh,” saidFauver.

The Fauvers rushed their oldest child to King’s DaughtersMedical Center where doctors and nurses were awaiting hisarrival.

“This hospital was wonderful. Because they took care of him sowell, he was able to heal quicker,” said Mrs. Callender, who hadcalled the hospital to let them know he was on the way with seriousinjuries.

Medical personnel at KDMC prepped Boo for the helicopter ride tothe Greenville Burn Center. His body had already begun to swell, soa tube was placed in his throat to help with his breathing. Booslipped into a deep sleep that lasted two days.

“I don’t remember anything from Tuesday to Thursday night,” saidBoo, who made his parents laugh when he did wake up and ask forsome food.

Boo was hooked up to four I.V.’s and had to undergo whirlpooltreatment to soak off the dead skin three times a day. Doctors alsohad to scrape off the dead skin left after the 15-20 minutewhirlpool sessions.

His diagnosis was bleak, according to doctors, but it didn’ttake them long to see that this young man was a trooper.

“The doctor first told me that it would be six weeks of intensetherapy, but we were out of there in eight days,” said Mrs. Fauverwith a smile. “He was bound and determined that he was going to getbetter.”

Boo and his family won’t fully credit his will power for thequick recovery, rather they look to a higher source of healing.

“A bunch of my friends came up there to see me, and they allprayed for me. That’s what got me here,” he said.

The Fauver family is so thankful for the prayers, phone calls,cards and gifts people sent to them, along with the countlessvisitors.

“We didn’t think that many people would call and be so worried,but this community really showed us that they were behind him,”said Mrs. Fauver.

Boo’s sister, 12-year-old Carrie, and his friend, Adam Hall,even helped out by placing donation jars Carrie had made atconvenience stores in the community. The donations from thecommunity, combined with the family’s insurance coverage, shouldpay for all the medical expenses.

“From the bottom of our hearts, we say ‘thank you.’ Thank you toeveryone,” said Mrs. Fauver.

Boo was most thankful for having the opportunity to start hisjunior year at West Lincoln Attendance Center on Thursday. He hopesit will be highlighted with football accomplishments, but he knowsthere’s a possibility he will have to sit this year out because ofhow delicate his skin will be for a while.

He plans to take care of his skin by staying out of sunlightwhenever possible. If he does venture outside, Boo makes sure toapply sunscreen, and wear a brimmed hat, long sleeves and longpants.

“I’m having to get used to it,” he said. “I’m not an indoorsperson. I love the outdoors.”

Boo is the grandson of Donald and Geraldine Fauver and EvelynCallender, all of the West Lincoln community; and Clifton Callenderof Caseyville.